2017-01-05

Kazakhstan to review Turkish arrests connected to Istanbul massacre

Staff Report

ASTANA -- The Kazakhstani Foreign Ministry is reviewing information about arrests made by Turkish authorities during the investigation of the New Year's Eve Istanbul nightclub massacre, CA-News.org reported Thursday (January 5), quoting Foreign Ministry spokesman Anuar Jainakov.

Kazakhstan wants to determine if the detainees include its citizens, Jainakov said.

A lone gunman killed 39 people in a nightclub before fleeing. Police are still pursuing him.

Since then, Turkish police have arrested 40 people, including 20 children, mostly from Dagestan, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, according to Turkey's Dogan news agency. The suspects are accused of affiliation with the "Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant" (ISIL).

Do you like this article?

Ca mobile no 0

Comments

* Denotes Required Field
Captcha
Spotlight
2018-01-03 | Economy

Central Asian leaders vow to make 2018 a year of development

Presidents of Central Asian countries overall called 2017 a year of changes and said they foresee further innovations in 2018.

Poll

What is the biggest threat to peace and security in your country for 2018?

View Results