Social media app TikTok has taken down accounts that were posting propaganda videos for the "Islamic State" (IS), a company employee said Tuesday (October 23).
TikTok, which is owned by Chinese firm ByteDance, claimed some 500 million users globally last year, making it one of the most popular social apps.
An employee at TikTok told AFP that it removed about 10 accounts for posting the videos.
The videos featured corpses being dragged through streets and IS fighters with guns, according to the Wall Street Journal, which first reported the story on Monday (October 22).
The Journal said the posts were from about two dozen accounts, which the social media intelligence company Storyful identified.
"Content promoting terrorist organisations have absolutely no place on TikTok," the company said in a statement emailed to AFP.
The TikTok platform, which allows users to create and share videos of 15 seconds, is particularly popular with teenagers.
IS since its inception has preyed on youth and attempted to indoctrinate them with its extremist ideology, and even branded a special branch of them "cubs of the caliphate".
The terror group has also featured youth in a number of its violent videos.
Last March, for instance, IS released a 25-minute video showing dozens of children in Afghanistan, many of them forcibly recruited and brainwashed, armed and waving IS's flag.
Other children can be seen being forced to participate in weapons training and grimacing as they are made to stand in formation.
In 2017, IS released a video showing young boys -- one of them no more than 4 years old -- shooting and decapitating grown men.