Kazakhstan says all gunmen behind Aktobe attacks arrested

By Agence France-Presse and Staff

ASTANA -- Kazakhstan June 12 said it had detained all the remaining gunmen involved in a series of shooting attacks last week that killed seven people and was blamed on radical Islamists.

Four civilians and three soldiers were killed when a group of gunmen went on the rampage at gun shops and attempted to storm a military base on June 5 in the western city of Aktobe.

In a statement, the national security service said "all the participants" in the June 5 attacks had been disarmed and detained. It did not say how many had been detained.

Kazakhstani President Nursultan Nazarbayev called the incident a "terrorist attack" in televised comments June 10.

The oil-rich Central Asian state has released few details about the group that hijacked a bus as it attempted to storm a military base, but police and government troops said they had killed 18 suspects as they hunted down the perpetrators.

Do you like this article?

0 Comment(s)
Comment Policy * Denotes Required Field 1500 characters remaining (1500 max)